Dhuska is the famous recipe of (Jharkhand) India, It is also the most common street food of Jharkhand. It is basically eaten along with spicy curry. This recipe is made by soaking rice and lentils in water, then making its batter which is neither too runny nor too thick, but here I have used traditional way of cooking, hence my batter is little thick. Lets learn how to cook this recipe.
Dhuska Recipe With Yellow Pea Curry (Traditional way)
For Dhuska Preparation
- 1 Cup Dosa Rice Any rice of your choice
- 1/2 Cup Chana Dal (Split Bengal gram lentils)
- 1/2 Cup Urad Dal (Split black gram lentils)
- 1 tbsp Coriander leave
- 1 tsp Chopped green chilies
- 1 tbsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Celery seeds
- 1 tsp Kasoori methi (Dried fenugreek leaves)
- 1 tsp Salt As per your taste
- 1 pinch Baking soda/ eno if you add eno then add one tsp
- 1 Cup Roasted coconut oil For frying (One can use vegetable oil also)
For Yellow Pea Curry Preparation ( Chola )
- 1 Cup Yellow pea Soaked overnight
- 1 tsp Chopped ginger
- 1 tsp Chopped Garlic
- 1 tsp Chopped Green chilies
- 1 cup Chopped onion one large sized onion
- 1 cup Chopped Tomatoes one large sized tomato
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 Piece Bay leaf
- 2 Corns Black pepper
- 1 tsp Kashmiri red chili powder
- 1 tbsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Seed powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Seed Powder
- 1 tbsp Chola Masala Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1 Packet Maggie Masala Powder
- 2 tbsp Mustard oil
For Dhuska Recipe
- Take one cup of rice, half cup of chana dal and half a cup of Urad dal and soak them in water for 12 hours. One can adjust the time as per the thickness of rice.
- After twelve hour wash ingredients and then grind them into a smooth batter (Not too runny or thick) after that add chopped coriander leaves & green chili.
- Add cumin seeds, celery seeds, salt, eno and dried fenugreek leaves (even one can add turmeric powder, ginger and garlic paste to enhance its flavor and texture)
- Mix them and the batter for the recipe is ready.
- Heat roasted coconut oil (it can be replaced with mustard oil or vegetable oil).
- With the help of ladle pour a small portion of the batter to form dhuska.
- Fry them from both the sides.
- Put it out on the kitchen towel and the recipe is ready to be served.
For Chola Preparation
- Take soaked yellow pea and put it in a pressure cooker.
- Add 3 cups of water and pressure cook it for 20 minutes or with 3 whistles, if you do not add baking powder then pressure cook it with 4 to 5 whistles.
- Take all the chopped ingredients.
- Take all the spices as shown in the image.
- heat a wok and add bay leaf.
- Add two tbsp of mustard oil into it.
- Add cumin seeds.
- Add chopped onion, garlic and chopped green chilies.
- Add chopped onion and let it turn translucent.
- Add chopped tomatoes and let it get caramelized.
- Add all the spices into the wok and mix them well.
- When aroma starts emitting from the spices then its time to add boiled yellow peas.
- Put the lid on and cook them for few minutes.
- after some time put the lid off and check the consistency, then add chopped coriander leaves and switch off the flame.
- Recipe is ready to be served.
- Serve them together and enjoy.
Shubhra is young blogger, marketing and human resource professional. She loves being healthy and being human. You can see the sense of her interests in her articles. Shubhra is social! get in touch with her.