Dhokla is a famous vegetarian recipe of (Gujarat) India. It is traditionally prepared with gram flour, but you can also prepare it with Suji (Semolina) and curd by fermenting it. But here I am using the batter of Rice and lentils. Lets learn how to add embellishment in this recipe and cook Tricolour Dhokla, also the tampering being used is a liquid syrup similar to those found in the market.
Tricolour Dhokla with Chashni Tampering
For Tricolour Dhokla
- 1 Cup Rice
- 1/2 Cup Chana Dal (Bangal gram lentils/ Split yellow pea lentils)
- 1/2 Cup Split black lentils
- 1 tbsp Each (Red chilli sauce + Tomato sauce)
- 2 tbsp Boiled and grind spinach
- 1 tbsp Curd
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Salt as per the taste
For Chashni Tampering
- 1 tsp Black mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp Curry leaves
- 1 tsp Mustard oil
- 1 Piece Raw sugar( Mishri)
- 1/4 Cup water
For Tricolour Dhokla
- Take overnight soaked rice and lentils, wash them and stain them.
- Add 2 tbsp of water and grind them to from a smooth paste.
- Add salt, sugar & curd into the batter and mix them well, put the batter aside for an hour or two so that it can get fermented
- Take three separate bowls and put the batter.
- Add sauces for saffron colour and spinach paste for green colour, let the white batter as it is.
- Prepare the steamer, in a wok place a bowl filled with water and pour extra water in the wok.
- Place the greased cake tin above the bowl.
- Add the green colored batter in the cake tin and cover it and cook for few minutes.
- Check it with a skewer whether it is done or not.
- Add white batter into it.
- Cover it and cook for few minutes, then check whether it is cooked or not.
- Similarly add saffron colored batter into it, cover and cook it.
- Finally check whether it is cooked or not again inserting a skewer.
- Dhokla is ready.
For the tampering
- Take a ladle and place it on the flame, add black mustard seeds into it.
- Add curry leaves into it.
- Add mustard oil into it.
- add mishri into it.
- Add 1/4th cup of water into it.
- Drizzle this on dhokla.
- Cut it into diamond shapes.
- Recipe is ready to be served.
Shubhra is young blogger, marketing and human resource professional. She loves being healthy and being human. You can see the sense of her interests in her articles. Shubhra is social! get in touch with her.