Ridge gourd is similar to sponge gourd but the only difference is its outer appearance. It is even very healthy and delicious, it works well for weight loss, it lowers the balance of blood sugar hence best for diabetic patients, it is even good for skin, it also fights chronic diseases. Before cooking it do a testing whether they are poisonous or not, just cut a small portion of it and taste it, if it seems bitter then throw them out as its virtue is sweet or tasteless other than this is not recommended. Let’s learn step by step process to prepare this recipe.
Ridge Melon/Gourd & Split Gram Lentils Curry Recipe (तोरई चना दाल की सब्जी)
- 2 tbsp Yellow split lentils
- 1 cup Ridge gourd
- 2 tbsp Chopped Tomato
- 2 tbsp Chopped Onion
- 1 tsp Ginger & garlic
- 1 tsp Chopped Green chili
- 2 tbsp Chopped Coriander leaves
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Pinch Asafoetida
- 1 tbsp Clarified butter (Ghee)
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Kashmiri lal mirch powder
- 1 tbsp Salt As per your Taste
- 1 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1 tbsp kasoori Methi (Dried Fenugreek Leaves)
- 1 tbsp Kitchen king powder or any vegetable powder
- Take soaked yellow gram lentils and soak it for one hour, cut and peel the ridge gourd.
- Take the chopped ingredients as shown in the image.
- Add cumin seeds in a pressure cooker and let it splutter.
- Add asafoetida in the cooker.
- Add clarified butter into the cooker.
- Add chopped ginger, green chili and garlic in the cooker.
- Add chopped onion and let it turn translucent.
- Add chopped tomatoes and let it become soft, just stir fry them.
- Add soaked and strained yellow gram lentils into the cooker.
- Add kashmiri red chili powder in the cooker.
- Add salt as per your taste.
- Add turmeric powder in the cooker.
- Add garam masala powder into it.
- Finally add kashoori methi (dried fenugreek powder) & kitchen king masala powder and mix it well.
- Add ridge gourd into it.
- Cook it by stirring it for some time and add half a cup of water into it.
- Add half of the chopped coriander leaves and put rest of them aside just for garnishing.
- Cook it with four whistle and after that add some more coriander leaves.
- Serve it with chapatis or boiled rice.
Shubhra is young blogger, marketing and human resource professional. She loves being healthy and being human. You can see the sense of her interests in her articles. Shubhra is social! get in touch with her.