There are useful mentions in Puranas for being wealthy by neutralizing poverty. The interesting message given in this post is if we focus on being wealthy, poverty (Daridra) will vanish automatically from our lives. During Churning of sea (Samudra Manthan – समुद्र मंथन) several pious and non pious things came out among them was Goddess Lakshmi (लक्ष्मी) and her elder sister Daridra (दरिद्रा). Laxmi is goddess of wealth whereas Daridra is symbol of poverty.
Lord Vishnu married Goddess Laxmi but nobody took a step forward to accept Daridra as she was known as symbol of poverty. Goddess Laxmi was not happy and concerned to see this; she asked Lord Visnu for acceptance of Daridra.
Due to Lord Vishnu’s & Godess Lakshmi wish Guru (मुनि) Uddalak accepted Daridra and took her to his hermitage (ashram – आश्रम). However, Darida was unable to enter the hermitage to the virtuous deeds of people of ashram.
On the wish of Goddess Lakshmi, Lord Vishnu gave Daridra a residence, but he told that only following places will be inhabited by her:
- The house where people do not maintain cleanliness, would be the dwelling place for Daridra.
- The house having spiky plants.
- Places where people eat food during dusk (गॉधुलि बेला) (the time when sun sets filling the sky with red color which onset of sun can bring).
- Places where old people get tormented.
- Places where sunlight is sparse with improper ventilation.
- Places where people do not rise early intentionally.
- Places having Banyan tree. Except Saturday no other day is suitable to visit this tree as it is said that on Saturday God Vishnu and Goddess Laxmi come to stay with Daridra.
- Places where women get disrespect.
- Places where morning and evening prayers never being offered or they are less frequent.
- Where women wear dirty clothes and remain unhygienic.
- Where food is not cooked with hygiene.
Bring wealth and neutralize poverty
Hence, to avoid Daridra you just need to follow opposite of above sayings:
- Always keep your premise clean and don’t put any spiky plant in your surroundings.
- Don’t eat food during sun set.
- Always respect your parents and elders and every women in your family.
- Ensure that there is enough Sunlight coming to your home with appropriate ventilation.
- Always try to wake up early in the morning and start your day. The key point here is don’t delay your morning intentionally until there is a reason.
- Don’t visit banyan tree at night just light up lamp during sunset and avoid plating the same in the premises of your house.
- Ensure that frequent morning and evening prayers are being offered.
- Wear clean and washed clothes and cook food with proper hygiene.
Since Guru Uddalak was following all the above practices Daridra was unable to enter his hermitage. Hence Lord Vishnu asked Daridra to establish herself under Banyan tree and provided information on inhabitant places for her also Goddess Laxmi and Lord Vishnu promised her that they will keep visiting her every saturday, that’s why people visit this tree during evening or morning and light up lamp to appease God and Goddesses.
Its *you* who have a choice to bring wealth (Lakshmi) or poverty (Daridra).
Shubhra is young blogger, marketing and human resource professional. She loves being healthy and being human. You can see the sense of her interests in her articles. Shubhra is social! get in touch with her.